In addition to setting the ecommerce technology roadmap that will enable the growth of our online business, you’ll direct the delivery of website improvements and oversee its day-to-day operations. You will also manage an ecosystem of third-party tools and services that work together to deliver the overall eddiebauer.com experience. Key success factors for the role include maintaining high service levels for performance and availability; minimizing or eliminating downtime during releases and other maintenance activity; and delivering frequent high-quality updates that address both customer value and strong engineering stewardship. You’ll partner closely with our marketing and online business executives to bring their visions to life, and you’ll regularly report progress, plans, and budget to our senior management team. Within the IT organization, you’ll collaborate with other teams as well as strategic vendor-partners for infrastructure services and for integrating with upstream retail information systems. The successful candidate will not only be an accomplished technologist but will have experience, vision, and passion for the continued acceleration of B2C ecommerce. Eddie Bauer – Live Your Adventure.
• Direct a team of software engineers, architects, business analysts, QA engineers, and technical project managers (the ecommerce IT team) to deliver website enhancements according to a roadmap of innovation.
• Work with both the ecommerce IT team, peer IT teams, and vendor-partners to ensure day-to-day operational delivery of systems.
• Ensure key vendors perform to the required quality levels in delivering their services.
• Build strong cross-functional relationships with key business partners.
• Collaborate with business partners (Merchants, Creative, Marketing, Design) to fully understand all business project requirements.
• Delivers Ecommerce projects within the committed time, scope, and resources (labor, hardware, software). Communicates challenges frequently and with recommended solutions and course corrections.
• Establish and maintain key vendor relationships.
• Implement and adhere to industry standard best practices and methodologies.
• Allocate staff resources to ensure optimal alignment with Eddie Bauer initiatives.
• Participate in the development of Eddie Bauer Ecommerce organizational strategies.
• Define, recommend, and execute a vision for eddiebauer.com that is consistent with Eddie Bauer’s overall IT strategy.
• Recruit, hire, retain, develop, mentor, coach, counsel, and manage staff to their highest potential. Provide candid and constructive feedback throughout the year. Work with HR to identify, retain, and promote high potential staff; and to surface and remediate performance issues.
• Drive process improvement. Identify and implement initiatives that improve workflow and productivity.
• Understand strengths and weaknesses in the system architecture. Anticipate vulnerabilities and orchestrate contingency plans.
• Collaborate across business functions to negotiate and drive issues to resolution.
• Be a proponent of change management while building strong relationships across all business units, and with the IT organization.
• Benchmark against other multi-channel retailers and provide direction for new capabilities, features, and functionality by recognizing market trends.
• In collaboration with Finance, establish, adhere to, and forecast the IT budget for ecommerce IT development and operations.
• Ability to travel as required by business needs. Expected travel: < 15% of the time.
• Drives for results and understands that effort is not the same as outcome.
• Delivers quality in everything he/she does.
• Understands need to explain the business implications of the challenges and needs that technologists see and is able to negotiate for those needs among the many competing demands. Is willing to compromise and build bridges.
• Knows that IT exists to support the business through growth but also through continuously increasing operating efficiency. Also knows that as technology continues to disrupt every business, his/her role is to guide our business in its strategic use of technology.
• Key business partners include the functional leaders of Eddie Bauer digital experience and marketing
• Key external software, SaaS, and professional services partners
• Operate with highest level of conduct, integrity, and confidentiality; setting the example for leaders and associates
• Develop and nurture strong cross functional partnerships; driving business results and inspiring a culture of transparency, collaboration, and accountability
• Serve as an Eddie Bauer advocate in the industry and marketplace
• Recruit, identify, develop, and retain talent that delivers performance excellence
• As an Officer of Eddie Bauer, serve as a leader of company culture, norms, and conduct
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that are required by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; as well as reach with hands and arms.
• The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to work in open environment with fluctuating temperatures and standard lighting
• Ability to work on computer and mobile phone for multiple hours; with frequent interruptions
• Ability to stay in hotel lodging for multiple nights during travel
• Airplane and car travel required
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. As an International Retailer, occasional evening and/or weekend work may be required during periods of high volume. This role operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the associate for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong understanding of and experience with the supply chain workflows and COTS information systems that support a large omni-channel retailer.
• Ability to follow an established business case justification process which involves developing project level of effort costs and timelines assumptions to establish an ROI by partnering with our financial planning team.
• Familiarity with project management governance skills including providing project sequencing recommendations and overall project status updates
• Clear communication skills used to update IT steering committee meetings regarding current and future Road Map initiatives
• Formal experience with ecommerce platform performance testing methodology in preparation for successful holiday planning.
• Strong understanding of ecommerce systems architecture with working knowledge of strategies that will lead to continued success and growth in online retail. Experience with one or more large enterprise ecommerce software packages (including SaaS), and with managed or outsourced ecommerce platforms.
• Knowledge of both leading and legacy IT architectures, tools, and services including but not limited to: public cloud computing; serverless computing; ETL and data management techniques; AMP and progressive web app techniques; headless applications and APIs.
• Experience with best practices in software delivery including DevOps, Agile/Scrum methods, CI, automated functional and performance testing, and the tools that support these processes.
• Respect for and experience with designing in and testing for strong information security.
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant field such as Computer Science or Engineering required. A graduate degree in a relevant field and/or an MBA preferred.
• Ten or more years’ experience developing and operating complex ecommerce systems in both on-premises (self-hosted) and managed/cloud-based/SaaS environments for major retails brands.
• Five years or more of experience developing, growing, and leading technology teams up of up to 25 in size.